Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Santa? Or no Santa?

I had a good conversation with a friend today on the In's and outs of teaching Santa to kids. This time of year, you can't sneeze without seeing, hearing, smelling, or even sometimes feeling Santa Claus every where you go. For the record, I was raised on Santa, and since we didn't have a chimney, was lead to believe that my parents left the door unlocked, with nice cookies and milk for him once he comes in. (I'm sure my dad enjoyed the cookies very much!)

But the conversation stemmed from a Christian stand point. If we are believers in the scriptures, and believers in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we celebrate Christmas to give thanks that God saw fit to send an atonement for our sins, that through faith in Him and repentance of our sins, we might be saved from an eternal damnation away from God. Now, I know that Christ was NOT born on December 25Th, not even in the winter. Christmas was started on this day in rejection of the pagans festivals and worship at the years end of all their false gods. Christmas was the Christians way of saying, we're not going to follow that, but we'll take this time of year and celebrate the birth of our Lord.

Now, I see nothing of that in Santa Claus. Santa is seen as an all knowing deity (if you'll allow me to use that word) that flies around the world in one night, bringing gifts to those children who are good. The gifts therefore, must be earned. (although I doubt any parents these days are going through with the promise of " you better be good or Santa won't visit") The gift that Christians celebrate of Christ cannot be earned. Scripture tells us that "there is none righteous, not even one; there is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God, All have turned aside" Rom. 3: 10-12. Paul goes on to say in that same chapter that "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law." Ephesians 2:8 says we were saved by GRACE through FAITH, and not of our works. We must repent of our sins, which means turn from them, and place our faith in the work that Christ did on the cross as a payment for our sins. Turn to Christ. This gift simply cannot be earned through good merits and favors. I fear this is the false doctrine of most of the world. Most people believe they are going to Heaven simply because they are pretty good people. Scripture does not teach this. Scripture teaches that true salvation PRODUCES good works. Christians do bear fruit!

I see where teaching Santa so heavily to our children, and leaving off the doctrines of scripture on Christ can be so damaging at such a young age. But I will not be dogmatic about this topic. I leave it up to the conscience of the believer. I was raised on Santa as was my wife, and I think we turned out okay, well....she did anyways. So if a Christian decides to play the Santa card with their child, that is their discernment and decision. I would simply caution to make sure the child has an understanding of the TRUE meaning of this day for Christians. If one's not a Christian, I guess this day can be about whatever they choose for it to be.