Thursday, December 11, 2008

Top eight books I've read of 2008

I thought I would do a list of my favorite books that I read in 2008. The top 8 of 08! While Christian books and Theology is not all I read, it is what I enjoy the most, so that's all that is in this list. I also took time this year to read a couple of Christian Classics that made this list. So, these books are what I enjoyed the most this year. I would recommend these books to anyone:

1. The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur.
-MacArthur is not only my favorite pastor/teacher, but a great writer as well. This book should be read by every Christian. The title says it all. In a culture where there are so many gospels, the one Jesus gave should be the one we embrace and love.

2. Evangelism & The Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer
-A great book on a topic that is hard for many Christians to deal with. What is our role in evangelism if God is the one who saves?

3. Jesus: Lord & Savior by FF Bruce
- The title says it all. Jesus is our Lord & our Savior

4. Knowing God by J.I. Packer
- Another Packer classic! This covers the attributes of God very well. Many Christians unfortunately know nothing of the attributes of the Lord.

5. Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Will Metzger
- This book gives the whole gospel unashamedly and teaches us not to water down the message. A great book in a time where many churches are watering down the message to attract more people.

6. What is a Healthy Church Member by Thabiti Anyabwile
- A short and practical book that explains what as church members we should be doing to edify and build up the body of Christ.

7. The New Covenant Ministry of the Holy Spirit by Larry Pettegrew
- A great book on the role of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer in this church age. This too is a topic that many Christians don't understand. The Holy Spirit means so many things to so many people, depending upon who you talk to. Scripture is clear on His role, and this book does an excellent job in discussing and teaching that.

8. Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges
- My mother in law bought me this book for Christmas last year, and what a humbling blessing it turned out to be. This book will humble any Christian who is willing to be made aware of the sinful flesh we still dwell in. This book made me realize how unholy I am, and how Holy God really is.

No comments: