Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The unknown of 2009

As I think about the end of 2008, and all the blessings and disappointments that have come, I realize what a charmed life my wife and I really live. We don't have to look too far to realize that both of us having secure jobs, a good roof over our heads, food pretty much anytime we want it, and good transportation, that we are extremely blessed. Indeed 2008 was a good year as our first full year of marriage. The unknown of 2009 is something not to be feared as we know all things are in God's hands and he "causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28. That verse really ministers to me as I look back at some of the tragic events that did take place in my life in 2008.

February 14th, 2008 my cousin Caleb, age 22, died of sudden heart failure. I'm closer to his older sister Charity as I practically grew up with her, but Caleb was special to me as well seeing him grow from an infant. I was even able to take him to one of his first concerts, front row at the Fox!

This past summer, a good friend of mine lost his cousin in a freak driving accident late at night while coming home with her husband. A car ran a stop sign and hit their car at just the right spot to kill her instantly. Her husband was barely harmed. She was 29 and was coming home from celebrating her birthday with her parents.

October 5th of this year, another great friend of mine's wife of less than two years gave birth to their first child. This joyous occasion soon turned to terror as she was rushed into the operating room with internal bleeding a few hours later, only to die in that room as the doctors were unable to save her. She was able to hold her young child only once, before leaving this world.

I don't write this to depress, but simply to reflect that there are certain things in this world that we are not in control of. And while we do not know what 2009 will bring, we hope and pray that it brings blessings to us and joys so that we may give God the glory, and we pray for the strength and grace to get through whatever trials may come, so that once again we may give God the glory. We must remember as the prophet Isaiah spoke, "I, the Lord, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself and spreading out the earth all alone,......Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker- An earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, What are you doing? Or the thing you are making say, He has no hands? Woe to him who says to a father, What are you begetting? Or to a woman, To what are you giving birth?

Yes, we must submit to the biblical truth that God is sovereign, and he does work all things to the good for those who love Him, either in this life, or the next. Do we truly love Him? May 2009 be a year of love and adoration for our God, for all the many blessings he has done through His Son Jesus Christ. Taken from The Valley of Vision here is a prayer and it shares hope and encouragement for the new year. It is a good one to include in your prayers as you look forward to 2009.

O Lord,
Length of days does not profit me
except the days are passed in Thy presence,
in Thy service, to Thy glory.
Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides,
sustains, sanctifies, aids every hour,
that I may not be one moment apart from Thee,
but may rely on Thy Spirit
to supply every thought,
speak in every word,
direct every step,
prosper every work,
build up every mote of faith,
and give me a desire
to show forth Thy praise;
testify Thy love,
advance Thy kingdom.
I launch my bark on the unknown waters of this year,
with Thee, O Father as my harbour,
Thee, O Son, at my helm,
Thee O Holy Spirit, filling my sails.
Guide me to heaven with my loins girt,
my lamp burning,
my ear open to Thy calls,
my heart full of love,
my soul free.
Give me Thy grace to sanctify me,
Thy comforts to cheer,
Thy wisdom to teach,
Thy right hand to guide,
Thy counsel to instruct,
Thy law to judge,
Thy presence to stabilize.
May Thy fear by my awe,
Thy triumphs my joy.

No comments: